Leading from the front in the hybrid era
Hybrid working is shining a bright light on individuals’ management and leadership skills. Exposed shortcomings are often blamed on hybrid models of work, but the leaders and managers who are struggling are most likely to be those who also experienced difficulties prior to the pandemic.
Some leaders are increasingly trying to turn back the clock and return to the way they worked before because it was easier for them. This approach isn’t easier for staff though and can have damaging repercussions. Employees now know how it feels to determine how and where they work and those who find their flexibility taken away are likely to move on to greener pastures.
Philippa Hale – Senior Associate, AWA
Partha Sarma – Senior Associate, AWA
Lisa Whited – Senior Associate for Change Management, AWA
- Help your employees find purpose—or watch them leave (McKinsey article mentioned by Lisa)
- Six Factors (mentioned by Lisa) – Managing the virtual workforce (AWA report)
- Millennials And Gen Z: Now Is The Time To Reshape Businesses To Harness Their Power (Forbes article – mentioned by Partha)
- Promoting Technical Experts to People Managers (Evolving Strategies article – mentioned by Lisa)
- AWA Institute details and events (mentioned by Karen)