Workplace Utilisation Studies
Workplace utilisation studies provide a picture of the way the work environment is used over time.
This study can include work spaces like desks, meeting rooms, social spaces, restaurants and cafeteria. It can be undertaken with observers who walk the floors and capture the true use of each working environment. The study can also be undertaken with sensors that provide a continuous stream of workplace data to be used in space management planning.
Why Measure Utilisation?
Getting a handle on how organisations use their workplaces is essential in understanding the possible options for work arrangements. The data the utilisation studies provide is critical when planning the right mix of workplaces for the future.
The data is fed to a database and using smart analytics we can predict with a high level of accuracy how many spaces of different sizes your organisation really needs now and in the future.
We can answer questions like...
- What amount of desks do you really need under different workstyle scenarios to support your organisation?
- If your headcount grows, how could it be supported using the existing space?
- How well are your meeting spaces used and what’s the ideal profile of rooms and sizes?
- How well are your social spaces (cafeteria, break-out spaces, restaurants) really used and could they be multi-purposed?
- What is the potential capacity of your space to support a larger population?
- How much space do you need to support current and future business needs?
- Which departments could adopt different ways of working and what sharing ratios would be most appropriate for different groups?
When to undertake a Workplace Utilisation Study
18 months prior to the expiry of your lease when considering whether to stay or relocate your office. We can help you identify how much space you really need.
In the occurrence of a merger or aquisition. We can help you strategise how to consolidate both organisations in a single building.
When your headcount is growing or predicted to grow. We can help you work out whether you can accommodate increases in your existing space.
When you want to re-balance your space plan to better suit the needs of your people and business.
Using surveyors we typically run a study for 2 weeks with a minimum of 6 observations a day.
With sensors we typically install and generate a constant stream of data for 6 weeks. We then present our findings using our unique “3D White space” technique.
Our workplace consultants will then highlight the areas and extent of under-utilisation and further identify the potential for more effective use of your workplace assets. We will then give recommendations on your next steps to realising the potential of your current or future workspace.
For over 25 years AWA has been helping organisations of all sizes in many different sectors improve workplace productivity through numerous Workplace Utilisation studies.
Much of our business comes from repeat clients and recommendations. We put this down to our fanatical dedication to our clients’ needs, and the results speak for themselves. We have pulled together a report which has collated our findings over a long period, and gives some insight in to the way people have been using their office space.
If you’d like a copy of our research, please get in touch.